Friday, October 31, 2025

Fall 2025

We are thru the fall months and ready for winter. Pool is closed, most of the outdoors maintenance at both houses are ready for snow, maybe one mow left in the year. (Don has it right, he packed up and moved to Florida in ten days... sold, left it all behind, tossed clothes and dishes in a truck, bought a new place on the other in end in Largo. A master-class.) It's been a little more effort with Nick gone, but he jumps in to help when he comes home for a weekend here and there.  Bran is keeping Grandpa going, with his appointments and plenty of food.   She had him try a 'gummy' one evening, and he extended his arm to receive the remote upside down... said he felt like never getting out of his chair again.  Memo: a full gummy is too much for Grandpa.

I attended one more ballgame with Jay, Game 4 of Tiger v Mariners in the ALDS, which we won big, but then the they went on to lose the series. It was a perfect afternoon, good crowd, and good to catch up with Jay. 
Nick came home for a long weekend after he aced his mid-terms (drove home on his own), which turned into a full week since he can watch his class lectures online.  We took a weekend trip with to see him two weeks later, with Brandi preparing him party mix and rice krispy treats which he and Owen wiped out quick.  We had dinner at the Gas House downtown where Nick was treated to a $50 steak as a break from his campus meal plan. Then we just stayed in and watched bad movies for the evening at the hotel, booked two rooms.  We were able to get Nick's car washed at the self-wash near the diner on Sunday morning after breakfast, so we have that routine figured out. 


Nick's getting a rhythm now, volunteering each weekend, where he's sanding and stripping a train at the Historical Society. One Saturday he told them he came from a 'car washing family' so they had him power wash an engine and car... for five hours.. and he got half-way done. Neat, I can't image washing something that huge.

We closed October with Halloween at home. I handed out candy from Grandpa's house where there's more kids. I saw Tilly in her witch costume, had about 150 kids before I ran out of candy (two pieces each, I wasn't cheap), and nice weather this year for a change.  Some kid told me I had candy but no decorations, which I pointed out to him the real spider web under my candy table, because my father hasn't dusted in a decade. He says, "cool".