He was off school early on Thursday, so we headed north, made it over the Ambassador Bridge without too much trouble; I'm accustomed to border security, but when the officer is smoking hot, I can be thrown off my game (Nick even noticed her.) Stopped for dinner at a Jack Astor's in London, meeting my colleague Suneel for a drink and swapping stories of times gone by. We got a room there, and headed on to Toronto Friday morning.
Nice suite at the Residence Inn on Wellington, so we had our own rooms. First stop was the Railroad Museum just a few blocks from us, where I had to contain Nick from giving the tour guide Robert too many lessons on the CN6213 on display. Nice setup with the roundhouse downtown, but less than I expected. Lunch was at Boston Pizza, and then a nap ensued before we walked down to Scotiabank Arena to see the Red Wings play the Maple Leafs. It was Hall of Fame weekend, so lots of Original Six recognition around town, and a short HOF ceremony before the game where we got to see Pavel Datsuk get his ring. If it wasn't for the drunk guy and his dad next to me, it was a perfect game and evening (Wings lost, could keep the puck down.) I was most impressed with how the Leafs put on a show... the Canadian flag passed across the lower bowl during the national anthem, gave me chills. We had suite access, but wasn't really all that impressive. Although I've never had access to better-tasting Molson, I indulged at every stop. On the way back from the game, Nick had his first Fat Bastard burrito. Tried to show him the best of Toronto.
Saturday morning the town was getting busier, so we arrived early at the Hockey Hall of Fame, walked around about two hours, and he was patient while I read every plaque about Detroit I could find. Nick took a nap in the theatre to wait me out, and even then when I went to get him and was finished, there was a Mike Vernon tribute video playing, and I had to watch. Museum is another bucket list item, and did not disappoint. Of course, it's all about touching Lord Stanley's Cup, and now I have.
Finished with a photo out front of the Union Station, and epic burgers at the famous Loose Moose then we we headed for home, with of course a short stop to load up on Canadian chocolate before we crossed the border.