By the numbers: Three days of clothes smelling like gasoline fumes, six-drinks-a-day limit in the VIP lounge, 800 classic vehicles, eight Uber drivers, $4.25 million for Sammy Hagar's 2015 LaFerrari, 20 hours of live auction, and one vehicle purchase. This was on my bucket list for many years, a trip to the vehicle auction, as-seen-on-TV, to experience the auction firsthand. I went with my co-worker Dan, all-in with unlimited access, running along the staging lanes and up onto the block, free-reign to walk right up onto the block and bump into Mike Joy (would have been nice to shut William Shatner up) and pretty freaking cool.
This was the first time Barrett-Jackson held a Fall event in Scottsdale, so about half the size of the January auction, but fewer attendees, so perfect for me. Each morning was walking the vehicles inside the building and tents, talking to various exhibitors which of course were cars and trucks (many of then custom builders), then into our spot in the VIP tent at the high-top table facing the staging lanes by noon, for a full day of unlimited food, running out to the lanes for vehicles I wanted to hop in or crawl under, and then a little walking of the grounds to see what sold the previous day. There was a block tour, which lasted all of 90 seconds, hosted by two uninterested twenty-somethings, but it didn't ruin the weekend one bit. And a side stop to watch the Tigers' season end on the big screens at the nearby Draft Kings sportsbook.
We saw a fleet of Indy Pace Cars from Monte Carlos to Corvettes which, not road legal, pretty awesome considering we own one already. A 1976 Civic that would have been perfect for teaching someone to drive a manual. A 1967 Marina Blue Corvette 427 that was best of the show for me, followed closely by a silver 1969 Camaro RS Z28 302. The Batmobile. A Daytona Yellow 1968 Corvette 427 hardtop convertible. And too many more to mention. I bought a 1978 Corvette... a 1:18 scale model to complete my collection really, as I have a 1:18 scale for every vehicle I've owned in the past 30 years, but needed a red 1977 to complete the set, and this was as close as I've ever found. I listened alot and learned from other bidders, so if I return, I know what to do.