We've been so busy trying to push our house over the finish line that we nearly ignored everything else, including Nick. At one point he said out loud, "When am I going to get some attention?" It's not that bad, but as an only child, it seems that way.
We had an emergency one evening where we left Nick with Grandpa, so they had an extended bonding experience. Out and about together, Grandpa needed a tissue, which he rarely is caught without a handkerchief. Nick's advice, "Blow your nose in your sock, that's what I do." I think that goes beyond even a generational gap. Regarding hygiene, Nick discovered the razor, and took it upon himself to shave. A lot. Places that were not meant to be shaved. Lessons to be learned.
He had a play date with a friend of Brandi's who has a 14-year old son, Aiden (everyone's kid is named Aiden). Who loves trains. You can imagine the ensuing excitement. The boys hit it off instantly, and Nick got ideas for what he (thinks he) is going to do in our basement for a train table. We'll set up something for him. He also voluntarily donated all of this small wooden trains, tracks and villages to Carrie's young boys, which I took it all to them for Christmas. Just turning two years old soon, they are coming into the train phase.
There was a trip to Atlanta for Brandi and Nick, with gifts exchanged, fireworks, and mostly the boys spending time separate from each other on their laptops. We had a small Christmas at home before they drove to Atlanta on Christmas Day, in which Nick got one of the expensive model trains he wanted badly (and then Aunt Megan spoiled him with a second one.) Brandi's cooking and new pajamas, a solid holiday. I went to Cincinnati for two days, which also was mostly eating, Jeff and I anchored at the end of Miranda's bar, watching the action around us. Robin relived her childhood memory with a new inflatable banana, which made for easy commentary the entire day. Finally I had my annual holiday dinner with Donny, but with neither of us in Florida this year, we surrendered the beachfront cocktails for dinner at a cool microbew in Saline called Salt Springs Brewery, built from an old Catholic church.
Nick and I also practiced more driving before the holiday, and he's nearly ready to go out on his own. He just needs to talk less and look at the road more. Nick's quote of the month, from the backseat of the car, "Oh God, it's Nickelback!"
Pictures here, including his school pic.
Jason