New foods this month (and they're getting tougher now as he gets picky based on appearance): lemon yogurt, Superman Ice Cream, but there's nothing better than the gummy butterflies and gummy fried eggs at the bulk market.
The Jedi mind tricks continue. He exits the school one afternoon, and says, "You need a car wash." Then it's, "You need gas, too." All in a lead up to, "Let's go to Taco Bell!" which happens to be next door to the car wash and the gas station. But more than the persuasion is his sharpening sense of tone and context. I try to be funny with him (and I know I'm not always the easiest to read), like saying one morning, "Your big head doesn't fit thru the little hole in this shirt," as he's growing out of clothes quickly. He deadpans, "Was that a joke?" Sometimes it's like looking in the mirror as he picks up my demeanor. For the most part, though, he's still a very outwardly happy kid.
His dinnertime prayers have become more creative, and are starting to take bizarre turns. The Montessori school had some sort of agnostic pre-meal ritual about being thankful, and I think it confused him. The latest prayer is, "I love you godmother, and smoke coming out of your house, taking a trip, yow-wow, Amen." I haven't told his godmother to be mindful of open flames around her house yet.
There's some Polish genetic hand-waving thing coming out of his personality now. When he makes a point, he smacks one hand into the other palm like a karate chop, telling you, "That was my final answer." (Brandi says it's sign language, that they're teaching him that!) He was really wound up the day he emerged from school and I had a flat tire. "Oh, we got a cute little tire instead!" When he woke up the next morning, after I had the full-size tire replaced, he couldn't even eat breakfast before seeing it, quenching his excitement.
And we saw the movie The Lorax, which was Nick's first 3D movie. Didn't realize it until we got in, but he wore the glasses, and enjoyed the show. It was cool reading the book, then seeing the show. Another first for him this month was in his mama's dental chair getting his teeth cleaned. Unlike regular patients, he got to play with all the cool instruments that shoot out water and air, etc.
- Jason