Sunday, June 30, 2024

June 2024 + College Visits #4 & 5

On the run every week this month.
Brandi and I got our strawberry picking in earlier this year because of the heat, but the berries were not as impressive.
Nick and I traveled down to Cincinnati to see Noah for his HS graduation. High points of the trip were a stop at the Air Force Museum in Dayton (not our first time) and their D-Day movie which was cool, and a new pizza joint down a country road. He humored me with an evening ballgame of Dayton Dragons v Lansing Lugnuts. No downside to this trip... except maybe for Nick using all the towels in the hotel.

Pool opened this year on June 12, we had a good Wednesday morning with no wind. Nick's notes and photos matter now, as Grandpa is about done with this exercise after 53 years, next year I suspect we'll be opening it on our own. I did get a good video of me cleaning the cover like Brandi's rug guy on YouTube.

Our fourth college visit was Western Michigan in Kalamazoo. This school has moved into a solid second-place spot on Nick's list, with an impressive engineering facility nearby main campus. It was a bit of a drive through Ann Arbor traffic, and early in the morning, but the campus is nicer than the other MAC schools, more impressive than I expected. We had a good tour guide, and seeing the dyno was the highlight. We took the back roads home past Devil's Lake, which isn't as rural as it once was, with dinner in Blissfield at Lena's. This school will be a little tougher commute, but the program is solid for what he wants.

There was a fifth stop at University of Dayton, which I didn't attend, but Brandi and Nick came away unimpressed.  True to the Catholic tradition, this college is the only one that required visitors to pay for a tour.  The church never misses a chance to take in a buck.


Flikr photos here.